Lesson 1: In Longsword Focus class this month we are focusing on the counter-cut. This is a defensive action that is in itself an attack. In the first class we explore the mechanics of three types of counter cuts and how they can be delivered against the fendenti.
Lesson 2: Now that we understand how to cut through an opponent’s sword as they attack us, how do we protect ourselves as the attacker? In this weeks’ class we explore three methods we can use to respond safely to the counter cut: yielding, binding, and deceiving.
Lesson 3: Counter cutting does not always need to be used as a cut through the blade of the opponent, you can also target the hands or arms of an attacker to arrest their attack and immediately deliver a wound. In this week’s class we look at the vulnerabilities an opponent might present on their hands as they cut from above or below.
Lesson 4: We look at how to keep our hands safe. Cutting in proper order and using good position will keep the hands protected as we send our sword forward toward the opponent.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.