18 topics, 45 min video
Sample: 4.1 Stringere via Half Cut
Though the rapier functions most efficiently as a thrusting weapon, it can be effective at cutting as well when wielded with sufficient force and the proper mechanic. In this course we focus on the mechanics of cutting and the right contexts in which to employ the cut.
Mechanics: Cutting mechanics start with blade alignment and rotation of the sword around the wrist, elbow, or shoulder. Then we add footwork to our cuts to attack targets at the right measure.
Stringere: The cut can be a powerful tool for gaining control of an opponent’s weapon. The half cut can be used to beat the sword aside and leave the opponent open to a thrust, the full cut can be used to clear the weapon completely and allow you to pass in past its threatening point and deliver a deadly cut to the opponent.
Recovery: In these lessons we use the cut as a means to escape from positions where the opponent has found or gained your sword. We will explore half cuts, full cuts, and a type of sword displacing action called a 'beat'.
Countering the Cut: The final lessons explore how to counter the oncoming cut of an opponent in three ways: 1. As the cut is prepared (in mezzo tempo), 2. As the cut falls (contra-tempo), and 3. After the cut passes and the opponent attempts to bring their weapon back online (dui-tempi).
Each topic contains a short video, retention quiz, practice notes and discussion.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.