Lessons 1 & 2: We are exploring the various guards of the sidesword. Our journey starts with Marozzo’s progression – a series of guards shown in his 1535 book which we practice as a cutting and position exercise. Following this progression, we first look at the guards where the sword’s point is down or held behind you.
Lessons 3 & 4: Our focus turns to sidesword guards where the point is oriented toward the opponent. From a point-on position we can control and constrain the opponent through threat (we may stab them) and our sword position against theirs. In these lessons we’ll look at how we arrive in the mid (stretta) and high (alta) guard positions and from these positions how to exploit the advantages and respond based on how the opponent responds.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.