24 topics, 42 min video
Click to watch the sample video
This is part two (lessons 5 to 8) in our course on Receiving with Rapier. Access part 1 (lessons 1 to 4) here.
Receiving is the part of the sword fight where the opponent moves forward toward us to control or attack. It may be how the sword fight begins, or a particular moment when the opponent decides to approach. Part II of receiving focuses on pressuring the opponent into error, and the strategies we employ against them as they approach.
Lessons 5 & 6: In these lessons we first look at how to defend ourselves from attacks using the principles of finding and gaining. We then look at how to take control of a situation as the opponent approaches and maintain control of the fight as they attempt to find their way out of our trap.
Lessons 7 & 8: It’s not enough to assume we can always control a sword fight. Recovering control is a subtle art and we’ll explore several options to keep your opponent guessing while you get back on top of the game. We’ll finish off with a recap of many plays of The True Fight that can be executed all while having the opponent approach us and become entrapped.
Each topic contains a short video. Retention quizzes, practice notes and discussion are available in the Premium courses.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.