While we are building this course, Subscribers can view the lesson videos in long playlist format:
Lessons 1 & 2: Through a solid grounding in technique we are able to learn and understand the principles of fencing. Once these are strongly ingrained we can challenge and develop our learning further by exploring how those principles are applied when are starting positions and movement strategies vary. We start by looking at starting positions where the sword is held low with the point directed down.
Lessons 3 & 4: We look at how to use and counter a broad guard. The broad guard is a position used in some schools of fence where the sword is held far from the centreline to threaten the opponent from one side, leave only the centreline open and make the sword challenging to find and control by the opponent.
Lessons 5 & 6: We’ll explore the vertical terza and horizontal seconda, inspired by the works of Salvator Fabris. These are used to force the opponent into the forte of your sword in spite of nearly anything they do. Facing these difficult positions, you will learn how to use distance, timing, and constraint to defeat even the most withdrawn of swords.
Lessons 7 & 8: To wrap-up our study on unorthodox postures we’re going to look at the most unorthodox posture of all, that of taking “no guard”. In these classes we explore an approach to the opponent where we leave our sword out of the presence until the last possible moment.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.