- Strike in primo tempo as the agente steps to measure.
- Strike in dui tempi against an invited attack from the agente. This can be accomplished via parries, deflections and collections.
- Constrain or engage the agente at misura larga or larghissima and wait for an opportunity to strike in contra tempo.
Giocco Largo True Fight
Take a giocco largo guard in one of the four quadrants and wait for the opponent to approach.
- Opponent steps to measure without cover -> As they step, strike them in primo tempo along a line that covers their sword based on their guard.
- Opponent attacks (having arrived safely in measure or from out of measure) -> Respond to the attack using one of the 5 winnings and counter-attack.
Note: If you stringere the opponent’s position by bringing your sword forward you have switched from a giocco largo to a giocco stretto strategy. Except in places where you place a low cover over a low sword in which case you have pre-emptively made a crossing with your opponent and you then respond using the pressure rules.
Changing Between Approaching and Receiving
As with our other weapons moving between approaching and receiving is a fluid operation in combat. If you are waiting for the opponent and decide to attack into an opening, you have moved from a receiving to an approaching strategy and must proceed accordingly.