Making Small Steps
Footwork is the foundation of martial art. Being able to take small, quick steps allows you to adjust quickly to opportunities and threats. When stepping it is essential to always keep a sturdy and stable base, to do this:
- Glide forward and backward, don’t allow yourself to bounce.
- When moving forward, start with front foot.
- When moving backward, start with the back foot.
- Move from the balls of your feet, this will keep your movement quick and light.
- Keep your weight centred over your back foot so that you have power in your back leg you can use for attacking.