Congratulations on completing the Getting Started with Italian Longsword course! Through these lessons you’ve learned the basics of posture, attack and defence. Now you’re ready to start the journey of swordplay mastery.
Make Time To Practice Regularly
Every week, members of DTV receive weekly training exercises by email that can be done on your own or with a partner. These exercises are a great way to practice and build on what you’ve learned in this course.
Make anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes of time each day to practice. Getting into a regular training rhythm, no matter how small, is the most important part of gaining skill. If you miss a few days, don’t sweat it, just get started again.
Continue Your Longsword Studies
This course is only the beginning. The Longsword Fundamentals courses are available to all members at the Scholars or Masters Club level. Upgrade today to begin a more in-depth study of this sword. The course comes in three parts and includes:
- The six cutting and five thrusting attacks
- The 12 positions for attack and defence
- How to attack at different distances and to create openings
- How to defend from the four quadrants against all attacks
- Controlling the opponent’s sword and keeping control of your own
- Creating opportunities and how to strike when the opponent is vulnerable
- Bringing together attack and defence
- Combative strategy, and more…
After you complete this course there are more than 400 lesson videos available for subscribers that will bring you through the levels of Academie Duello’s system, from Apprentice to Master.
Try Out the Rapier
All of the principles that you’ve learned with the longsword apply to the renaissance rapier as well. Check out the Getting Started with Rapier course to learn about the agile, athletic and deadly sword of the duel.
Give Us Your Feedback
We’re always working to make our courses and lessons better. Please leave us a comment or send us a message with your feedback and let us know what you loved and what you think we could do even better.