31 topics, 80 min video
Sample: 3.2 Direct Counter Strike on the Inside
Lessons 1 & 2: A void is a movement used to “avoid” the sword of the opponent through displacement of your body. Our first lesson this month examines the “girata” or “turn” that allows you to twist your body through a quick rotation of the shoulders. The second lesson looks at the mechanics for striking beneath the opponent’s sword.
Lessons 3 & 4: The opponent’s attack is a good opportunity to use a void. We use the girata and the strikes beneath to strike with cover as well as turn the body away from the oncoming attack.
Lessons 5 & 6: A feint can also be used to set up a body void, drawing the opponent’s attack so that we can avoid it and counter with a strike of our own. We also explore how giratas and strikes beneath can be used in situations where the opponent has attached with your weapon. An attachment is a type of connection between your sword and the sword of your opponent with pressure but no victor in the crossing.
Lessons 7 & 8: You will learn how to take a given combative situation and apply a void to alter its outcome. We also explore when to use each of the various types of girate and passes beneath based on distance, timing, and weight distribution. This section concludes with a series of six counters to these techniques based on direction of the attack, distance to the opponent, and timing of the play.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.