Duel like a musketeer, sharpen your skills as a rapier practitioner, and build the foundation as a great swordfighter. In this course you’ll be guided step-by-step through the fundamentals of Italian Rapier practice. Each topic contains a short video, retention quiz, and specific practice advice.
What You’ll Learn
- This history, background, and anatomy of the Renaissance rapier.
- How to approach these courses and what you can expect from them.
- The ideological tenets of the school.
- Postures optimal for defending and attacking
- The lunging attack of the rapier
- How to avoid common mistakes in posture and lunging
- Exercises and drills to keep practicing and improving your technique
What You’ll Need
- A sword specifically made for practice, preferably one constructed, weighted and balanced to match the sword being studied.
- If you don’t have a sword, a wooden dowel or other staff 36″-45″ long, about 1″ in diameter
- Gloves can make handling some swords more comfortable.
- A mirror, video camera, or partner to help check your form and provide feedback.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.
Looking for the videos without the course work? Click here for Rapier Fundamentals I playlist.