15 topics, 28 min video
Click to watch the sample topic
Duel like a musketeer, sharpen your skills as a rapier practitioner, and build the foundation as a great swordfighter. In this course you'll be guided step-by-step through the fundamentals of Italian Rapier practice.
What You'll Learn
- The history, background, and anatomy of the Renaissance rapier
- How to approach these courses and what you can expect from them
- The ideological tenets of the school
- Postures optimal for defending and attacking
- The lunging attack of the rapier
- How to avoid common mistakes in posture and lunging
- Exercises and drills to keep practicing and improving your technique
Practitioners of other rapier systems (German, Spanish or English, for instance) will see many mechanical similarities, even though the terminology may be different.
Each topic contains a short video, retention quiz, practice notes and discussion.
What You’ll Need
- A sword specifically made for practice, preferably one constructed, weighted and balanced to match the sword being studied.
- If you don’t have a sword, a wooden dowel or other staff 39″-47″ long, about 1″ in diameter.
- Gloves can make handling some swords more comfortable and prevent abraisions.
- A mirror, video camera, or partner to help check your form and provide feedback.
Get the Certificate
If you have completed all three Fundamentals sub-courses (I, II and III), you are eligible for the completion certificate. Click here to go the confirmation page and get your printable certificate of completion for Rapier Fundamentals.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.