20 topics, 54 min video
Click to watch the sample topic
Fight like knight, sharpen your skills as a longsword practitioner, and build the foundation as a great swordfighter. This course is part three of DTV's step-by-step guide through the fundamentals of Italian Longsword practice.
What You'll Learn
- the four tempos (opportunities) to safely attack an opponent
- three core defensive principles to keep you safe from attack
- how to make strong defenses that lead to counter attacks
- how to safely recover from a failed attack
- the basic elements that make up a sword fight
- putting together the building blocks of a sword fight with a partner
- working at different speeds for drilling and sparring
Practitioners of other longsword systems (German or Spanish, for instance) will see many mechanical similarities, even though the terminology may be different.
Each topic contains a short video. Retention quizzes, practice notes and discussion are available in the Premium courses.
What You’ll Need
- A sword specifically made for practice, preferably one constructed, weighted and balanced to match the sword being studied.
- If you don’t have a sword, a wooden dowel or other staff 39″-47″ long, about 1″ in diameter.
- Gloves can make handling some swords more comfortable and prevent abraisions.
- A mirror, video camera, or partner to help check your form and provide feedback.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.