31 topics, 58 min video
Sample: 4.1 High Dagger Cover
Positions & Transitions: We are expanding our attention to include a dagger in our offhand. These lessons look at the positions that the dagger takes in relation to the sword and how to gracefuly transition between those positions where both weapons seek to defend together.
Gaining: Playing from sword to dagger is a powerful strategy. The opponent’s sword is stringered, and when they move to escape or attack our dagger comes into play to gain it, freeing our sword to strike.
Sesta & Quinta: Quinta and Sesta, the mysterious 5th and sixth guards of rapier and dagger, are really alternate positions that can be taken in Terza and Quarta that refuse the sword from the opponent in various ways. In Sesta we look at how withdrawing the sword and entire sword side of the body allow the dagger to take a more dominant role. We then look at Quinta where the sword is lowered in Terza and is used to invite the opponent to strike over the combined defense of rapier and dagger.
Tempo Plays: These final lessons of rapier and dagger first look at how to build rapier and dagger plays in various tempos and then how to use the combined defense of the rapier and dagger against the cut.
Against the Cut: Using both weapons together provides an effective defense against the opponent's cuts. We'll make our defenses and follow-up counter attacks.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.