21 topics, 39 min video
Sample: 2.3 Riposting from Medium Pressure
Gioco largo describes a sitation where my opponent's sword point is not a direct threat. This can be seen at the beginning of an engagement, because they hold their sword withdrawn. Or it can be seen during the engagement, when they withdraw their sword or withhold it momentarily.
We "receive" our opponent when we have them come toward us to make their move, again whether it's at the beginning of the fight, or in the middle of it.
Primo Tempo. Our first opportunity to strike our partner comes as they approach us and enter measure. We'll examine several ways to successfully strike while defending ourselves against their attack.
Ripostes after the Parry. A "riposte" is a counter attack, typically after having defended ourselves. The changes in blade and bind pressure when we parry will prompt us to execute different counter attacks that keep us safe from their weapon.
Ripostes after the Deflection. In true gioco largo fashion, we send our opponent's weapon offline when we deflect it's attack away from us. How they respond to the deflection will inform us as to the best counter attack to use.
Multiple Defenses. Not every opponent can be set aside by a single defense. Good opponents redouble their attack, and we need to be prepared to make multiple defenses, then use our previous training to find the best counter attacking options based on how they have been parried or deflected.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.