17 topics, 32 min video
Sample: 3.2 Gaining Against the Disengage
Receiving is the part of the sword fight where the opponent moves forward toward us to control or attack. It may be how the sword fight begins, or a particular moment when the opponent decides to approach. Part I of receiving focuses on the mechanics required to control and safely attack our opponent as they approach.
Mechanics & Measure: At the beginning of our lessons on approaching and receiving we like to get back to the basics of distance and movement. We look first at mechanics of movement then at the five measures and how to judge and exploit them.
Gaining and Tempo: Gaining the sword is one of the most important skills a fencer must possess, and in these lessons we look at it from the perspective of the receiver. We’ll use the extended guards of seconda and quarta to defend ourselves against attacks. Then we explore Primo Tempo in detail, discovering ways to strike our opponent as they step to measure.
Each topic contains a short video. Retention quizzes, practice notes and discussion are available in the Premium courses.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.