- Effective Solo Training | Webinar
- In this time of isolation many people are practicing on their own whether they want to or not. Though it may seem simple, it’s easy to train alone in ways that are uninspiring, potentially injurious, build bad habits, or are just plain ineffective. In this webinar we’ll explore how to train on your own in a way that will help you make real gains in your martial performance.
Topics will include:
– What to train solo and what to avoid
– Methods for training mechanics, precision, coordination, and power
– How to create a maintainable rhythm
– Different types of drilling
– How to build your own drills
– Effective self-review
– At-home training tools
There will be inspiration for practitioners and teachers of all disciplines and experience levels. Presentation will be followed by a Q&A where we’ll all share solo training ideas with one another and I’ll share additional thoughts on this and other topics.
- Effective Slow Sparring | Webinar
- Fencing at a reduced speed and intensity is a useful tool for building strategic and tactical understanding, developing precision, introducing new people to sparring, and creating space for experimentation with reduced risk. Yet it is easy to do badly and can be difficult to use in a way that creates legitimately positive results.
In this webinar we’ll look at how to use slow fencing as a training tool within your overall program. How to get students and training partners to do it effectively and in a way that is effective and enjoyable.
Topics will include:
1. Teaching people how to go slow
2. Benefits and limitations of slow sparring
3. Movement between slow and fast training modes
4. Training relaxation and mental presence
5. Appropriate protective gear and precautions
6. Creating a culture that embraces slow sparring
Slow sparring is used by military combatives trainers, boxing coaches, and self-defense trainers, it should be used by you.
- Curriculum Design | Webinar
- How do you create a program that facilitates the development of proficient practitioners, transmits an authentic art, and keeps people engaged in their own development? In this lecture Devon Boorman, Master Instructor at Academie Duello, brings participants through the process of curriculum design and gives them a window into the system that has been developed at Academie Duello over the past 15 years. Topics include:
1. How to breakdown your system into a syllabus
2. Teaching approaches and models
3. Developing progressive curriculum, and how/when to use leveled approaches
4. Learning objectives, course outlines, and class plans – where and how to use them
5. How to work with a team of teachers
6. Models for refinement and improvement of curriculum over time
Academie Duello has a 5-level program that extends from initiate to master, a multi-year curriculum plan, a team of as many as 30 instructors, and over 250 active members in its mastery program. It began as two people teaching in a public square.
At the end there is an extensive Q&A with additional questions on beginners programs, encouraging practice, promoting instructors and more.
- Maximizing Skill Retention | Webinar
- Have you ever gone to a class, learned 3 new skills, and then the next day not remembered any of the things that you learned? Or attended many classes yet never been able to apply learned skills in sparring?
How you structure a class (or a personal training session) has a large impact on the ability of students to retain and integrate what has been taught. In this webinar Devon Boorman explores how to design classes that help students retain, understand, and apply newly acquired skills.
– How to teach in a way that builds good motor programs
– How to use randomized drilling to increase retention
– How to advance drills in a way that moves students toward sparring
– How to integrate guided sparring and games to create applied understanding
This webinar has relevance for instructors and practitioners of all experience levels. Whether you’re teaching classes to others or building training programs for yourself.
- Creating Great Sparring Environments | Webinar
- Sparring is not a one size fit all scenario. In this webinar Academie Duello Master Instructor Devon Boorman describes 6 different avenues for creating great sparring environments that create great practitioners while fostering safety and learning.
The topics covered include:
– Building safe and effective sparring into your school or club
– Sparring games
– Sparring Analysis and feedback
– Scaling speed sparring and slow sparring
– Directed sparring and coached sparring
– How to create safety and manage problems in free sparring
Become a subscriber at www.duello.tv to learn about future webinars and to engage in further training on these subjects.
Join Devon in Vancouver for a week long instructor intensive. Get info and register here:
- From Drill To Skill | Webinar
- How do you take a newly learned technique and make it one that you or your student can execute successfully in sparring? In this lively lecture and discussion Maestro Devon Boorman brings his 25 years of teaching experience to bear on this question as well as many related ones offered by the participants.
This session explores the cycle a new skill travels—from learning to proficiency—and how to make that process as smooth and effective as possible. Including:
– Learning mechanics and placing skills into context
– Effective drilling and applying tactical pressure
– Use of sparring games and other integration tools
– Analysis, refinement, and the place of full speed sparring
Additional participant questions include:
– How do you engage in drills with participants who are less inclined?
– How do you manage speed and use slow speed sparring effectively?
– How do you smoothly move people from drills into higher pressure exercises?
– What makes a good sparring game and how do you design one?
You’ll come away with useful tools for refining your own learning and teaching process based on modern sport science and the experience gained at Academie Duello teaching over 10,000 students over the past 15 years. Sign up to Duello.TV for more resources, notifications of future online webinars, and to learn about our upcoming instructor training intensives.
Journey the path of swordplay mastery – Get started FREE – https://duello.tv – Interactive Online Courses – Training Blog