Prerequisite: This course assumes the knowledge of the three Longsword Fundamentals courses.
26 topics, 54 min video
Sample: 3.5 Maintaining Control at the Forte
Gioco Stretto ("narrow play") refers to situations where the opponent's weapon is in close proximity and presents the capacity to strike with a short movement, often a thrust. In this course you'll learn how to approach an opponent who presents their point, gain control, recover control, respond to pressure, and manage the fight strategically starting first with the mechanics of the thrust and then the cut.
Intention Thrusting: First you'll refine and expand your mechanics for taking control of a presented weapon with thrusts from all four quadrants, then you'll learn how to bring that together with proper timing and context.
Recovering: In this lesson you'll build the tools for getting back into control when you have lost it. Both as defenses against attacks as well as defenses against position and blade control.
Stringere: Here you'll learn how to maintain control and defeat your opponent's to recover or attack. With this knowledge you'll learn how to strategically and tactically control a fight as part of the concept of "stringere".
The True Fight: These lessons focus on the tactical flow chart of all the possible actions and responses in gioco stretto, that we call the True Fight. You'll learn how to use this powerful tool to first understand combat and then to build your tactical responsiveness in combat and analyze why you win and lose.
Intention Cutting: In this lesson we hop back to the beginning and explore how we can use a controlling cut to dominate the centreline and enter the True Fight in a whole different way.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.