Lessons 1 & 2: The Quarterstaff: A long section of wood, sometimes capped at one or both ends with a metal point, is one of the simplest and most effective weapons in the European arsenal. We’ll focus on the use of the longstaff (a 9 to 12 foot staff) and its fundamentals. We start with the high and low positions of the staff along with their basic defences and counters.
Lessons 3 & 4: It’s time to look at how to use its essential actions to strike the opponent in various tempos. This week we explore all four tempos and how to create opportunities in each of them.
Lessons 5 & 6: Though the longstaff can be quite unwieldy to swing about, there are still occasions where striking with the shaft of the staff instead of its point can be advantageous. In these lessons we explore the compass blow and stramazzone to attack the legs, head, and arms and the technique required to defend yourself.
Lessons 7 & 8: We look at how to apply the principles of the adaptive fight. The actions we practice take us from a failed attack through into closer plays with the reversed end of the staff that include strikes, arm binds, and throws.
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.