Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
Jump down to Longsword Practice | Rapier Practice | Sidesword Practice
The Challenge in a Nutshell
- Challenge yourself to practice for at least 30 minutes per day for 30 days in January, from the 2nd to the 31st.
- Do it in community. Join our Facebook group or use the #30for30SwordChallenge tag to share your progress on any social platform.
- Share the challenge in your school, study group, or amongst your swordy friends.
- Take advantage of our many free resources (and tons of subscriber drills, webinars and courses) on DuelloTV to inspire your challenge and guide your learning!
How to Use this Page
- These first three videos are for those who are brand new to Rapier, Longsword, or Sidesword. This is followed by training advice for each day of the challenge.
- Below that you’ll find 4 solo and 4 partnered exercises for each week for Longsword, Rapier, and Sidesword.
- We recommend reviewing all four videos for the disciplines of your choice (they’re short) and then picking two or three of them as your focus for each day.
- Use a timer and set it for 10- or 15-minute increments. By focusing on a small set of drills over a week you’ll most easily see forward progress.
A Brief Introduction to the Longsword | LS Solo
- Introduction to the Italian Longsword and sword fighting.
A Brief Introduction to the Rapier | RA Solo
- The Italian renaissance rapier presented as a fundamental weapon of the Academie. The rapier is a weapon finely tuned to duels and affairs of honour.
A Brief Introduction to the Sidesword | SS Solo
- An introduction to this elegant and deadly weapon. Explore grip, posture and basic cutting.
Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
Longsword Solo Practice Week 3
Flow: Facing Change | LS Solo
Longsword Partnered Practice
Longsword 6c – Defending Against a Quick Riposte Part 3
Rapier Solo Practice Week 3
Rapier: The mechanics of a lunge
Rapier Partnered Practice
Rapier 4d – Countering in Dui Tempi Part 2
Sidesword Solo Practice Week 3
Stramazzone with Shield | SS Solo
Sidesword Partnered Practice
SSW-210 6 – Attack to Miss-2
Acknowledgement of Safety and Risk
- Practice all exercises slowly and with control.
- Practice using training swords that are not sharp and are specifically made for practice.
- Use protective gear for all exercises. In many of our videos we are not wearing head, throat or body protection in order to make clear explanation more possible. You should always use protective gear when practicing these arts regardless of the exercise.
- Be aware that injuries in training are always possible. Ensure that you are practicing with care and caution at all times.
- DuelloTV is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of sword practice inspired from our videos.